Re: Hebrew text rendering problem

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 12:13 -0500, Christopher V. Kimball wrote:

> I provide the public service site
>
> http://www.tanach.us/Tanach.xml
>
> of the Hebrew bible (Tanach) in Hebrew.  The site his based on Unicode
> XSLT transformations and yields excellent rendering on all Windows
> operating systems.
>
> Under (openSUSE 10.2) Linux the rendering with Firefox 2.0.0.2 is poor.
> When I enable pango via MOZ_ENABLE_PANGO=1 the rendering improves a
> great deal, but only for SHORT stretches of Hebrew text near about 30
> Unicode characters.

If rendering is correct in gedit, then this is not a GNOME issue.
However, you should try the Firefox shipped in Fedora Core 6 or better,
Fedora development version.  They include lots of patches I wrote that
improve Pango text rendering in Firefox.

And also avoid justified lines at all costs.

behdad