Re: test suite for pango

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 12:37 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 04:30 -0400, Uma Shankar Ladha wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are there any other test suite available for pango other than the test
> > suite which ships with pango code?
>
> No, not that I know of.  I have wanted to add such a thing for some
> time, but it's hard to do without having small fonts for multiple
> languages to ship with the test suite.
>
> Another idea in absence of any portable fonts is to compare outputs from
> different backends as a poor man's test suite.  I went into that
> direction for a while, trying to get the output of pango-view with
> different backends match, but it's not there yet.

I have some code around that I started to do regression testing
on the Indic shapers, using the FT2 backend (or did I port it to
cairo?)

You write an XML file that specifies:

 - The font (with an URL) to test with
 - a set of test strings

and then it compares the output with a reference file. It turns
off hinting to reduce the dependence on the font engine.

It certainly won't work cross-backend, and I can't imagine that
anything would. I'll see if I can dig up the code this evening
and post it.

					- Owen