Re: opentype features (ligatures)

Hello, Kibavuidi,

You should contact Patrick Andries <patrick hapax qc ca> in Quebec, Canada.  He is
currently working on a proposal to include the Mandombé script in Unicode
(http://www.unicode.org).  As far as I know, the Mandombé proposal has not
yet been submitted to the Unicode consortium.

Note that Mr. Andries previously
worked on the Unicode proposal for the Tifinagh abjad used to write Berber
languages and he produced a Tifinagh font (une police libre de droit) as part
of the proposal's supporting material (Tifinagh is now officially part of Unicode).
So he is familiar with the African languages and scripts, knows how to create OpenType
fonts, and is surely familiar with the issues regarding encoding of Mandombé.

If a script-specific Pango module really will be required
for Mandombé as you appear to suggest might be the case,
then the first place to describe the necessary ligature substitution and glyph positioning
behaviour will be in the Unicode proposal.  Once the required behaviour is
documented even in a draft proposal (and maybe Andries has already done this, I
don't know), then it will be available for everyone's review, not only for Pango/Linux
implementors, but also for implementors of other operating systems.

Andries' web site is: http://www.hapax.qc.ca/ .  Patrick will probably welcome
additional help on getting Mandombé encoded in Unicode.

Best Wishes --

-- Ed Trager
   Bioinformatics, Kellogg Eye Center
   University of Michigan, Ann Arbor