Pango error with Gaim

Dear all,

I'm compiling Gaim for my Mac OS X. I reached the stage of having
compiled, made and installed Gaim along with all its dependencies,
including Pango and Cairo. Now when I come to start Gaim, I get the
following:

$ /usr/local/bin/gaim

Pango-ERROR **: Unable create Cairo font
aborting...
Abort trap

$

Cairo compiled and installed fine, and so did Pango. I'm using Cairo
1.0.2 and Pango 1.10.1. I also tried getting the whole of gaim and its
dependencies from fink, but I get the same error running that version.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Karim