Re: GTK, Pango Fonts

[ Cutting down the Cc list to something reasonable ]

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 10:56 -0400, Brian Hanley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to figure out how to make proper use of fonts
> with GTK, and am not find a whole lot of answers out there.
>
> Here are some of my questions:
>
> 1. Is there a Pango FAQ, or GTK fonts FAQ?
>    Specifically, is there a document describing how Pango is built on
> top of,
>    and works with, freetype and Windows native fonts?

Not that I'm aware of.

> 2. Does Pango on X use freetype only, or does it allow X bitmap fonts?

It only uses fonts installed for fontconfig. To install a font for
fontconfig, put it in /usr/share/fonts or ~/.fonts

> 3. What fonts are available to Pango?
>    When you bring up a Pango font selection dialog, do the fonts there
> simply
>    reflect the system fonts? Or do they represent Pango font families
> which are
>    used to select from the system fonts? Is there such a thing as a
> "Pango font"?

The font selection dialog shows the system fonts, plus the three special
aliases "sans", "sans-serif", and "monospace"

>    In order to get more fonts for Pango on X, do I simply install
> freetype fonts?
>    Similarly, to get more fonts for Pango on Windows, I just install
> Window fonts?
>    How do I manage what list of fonts is presented in the font selection
> dialog,
>    both on X and on Windows?

The font selection dialog shows the system fonts on both systems.
(fontconfig is the font system on modern X systems)

> 4. Are there any cross-platform projects which attempt to make their
> fonts look
>    the same on both Windows and on X, and if so, what approach do they
> take?

Don't understand this. If you have the same font on both systems,
the result will look more or less the same. If you don't, it's not going
to look the same.

> 5. How much of a performance penalty is there for rendering fonts with
> Pango
>    versus drawing fonts with XDrawString?

You might be talking about a reduction from 1million glyphs/sec to
100,000 glyphs/sec. Which is a "big performance penalty", but the
result is still fine for virtually all apps.

> 6. Are there any optimizations of Pango which would allow significant
> speed-up?

For rendering speed, no. Rendering speed is bottlenecked by the speed
of antialiased font drawing on the X server. For layout speed, perhaps,
though not easily.

> 7. Is it possible to use X bitmap fonts with GTK widgets?

No.