From: Jonathan Ben Avraham [mailto:yba tkos co il]
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 5:08 AM
To: Boncek, John
Cc: gtk-i18n-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Arabic line spacing problem

Hi John,
In the screen shots that your sent:

1. The Arabic seems to use a different font for the text above the buttons

than for the buttons.

2. The first button on the left in the Arabic is centered, the others are
right-aligned.

3. The Arabic translation is satisfactory (Isam Abuteir).

4. The Hebrew translation is very poor, to the point of being
unintelligable. I read it before reading the English and was very
surprised when I read it (the English).

5. The Hebrew text is centered in all instances.

6. The Hebrew font is low quality.

7. Text flow in both Arabic and Hebrew is correct.

I suspect that by using the same font for the buttons as you use for the
instructions above the buttons will solve the line spacing problem. There
is a big difference between "system" fonts and text fonts in Hebrew and
Arabic because of the need to allow space for above and below line
diacritics in the text fonts. The system fonts are used without diacritics

in both languages by changing the spelling rules slightly.

Let me know if we can be of help - maybe send us some code snippets to
work on.

  - yba

--
  EE 77 7F 30 4A 64 2E C5  83 5F E7 49 A6 82 29 BA    ~. .~   Tk Open
Systems