Re: Typing Right-To-Left language characters in GtkEntry

On Thursday 2005.06.09 13:58:35 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Gaurav Jain wrote:
>
> > Hello Behdad,
> >
> > Thanks for your response.  I tried the setxkbmap command that you
> > mentioned, and it worked fine. I then switched the layout to arabic
> > using the "ALT + SHIFT" combination.  However, after switching layout,
> > I'm unable to type anything on the terminal itself.  Nothing is
> > visible, even though I have installed the arabic fonts (I mentioned
> > that in my previous mail on this group).  When I switch back to
> > english using "ALT + SHIFT", then I can see the english characters
> > correctly.
>
> Now you are talking about something different:  terminal.  I
> suggest you forget about typing Arabic in the terminal and go
> back to the Gtx widgets.  It should work there.

Just a little note I would like to add here: mlterm (http://mlterm.sourceforge.net)
is the only terminal emulator I am aware of that seems to work somewhat OK for Arabic
(for example, you can use the terminal version of vi or vim to edit a document containing
Arabic.  As far as I can tell, one has to more or less stick with using the bitmap GNU unifont
in order to maintain legibility in the terminal, but it does seem to work).
It would be nice if Gnome's gterminal or KDE's konsole could handle
Arabic and other complex-text-layout (CTL) scripts.  Have others had this wish too?
I have a partial idea of what some of the issues are, but I'm sure my understanding of these
issues is incomplete.

 - Ed Trager
   Bioinformatics, Kellogg Eye Center
   Univ. Michigan, Ann Arbor