Re: rendering the burmese unicode font MPH Yangon

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 19:24 -0700, Ngwe Tun wrote:
> I would like to express current status of Myanmar Localization.

Thank you very much for this - it is very much appreciated. Also, thanks
to Jens for bringing my email to your attention.

Would it be possible to create a page on the my.wikipedia.org that lists
all this information, including contact information and links to where
the specs/data/fonts/locale/information/etc can be downloaded? I would
suggest http://my.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Burmese_In_Free_Software

> 1) Encoding (Status Unstable)
> Unicode UTN#11 (http://www.unicode.org/notes/tn11/) have some issues
> in Medial Character and Kinzi Character.
> Myanmar NLP Lab (http://www.mcf.org.mm/unicode) or
> (http://www.myanmars.net/unicode) proposed Additional Myanmar
> Characters such as semi-vowels
> ( http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2827.pdf) and Minority Ethnic
> Characters (http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2768r.pdf ). So We
> were waiting from approval of ISO IEC SC2/WG2 and Unicode.org

It is excellent to hear that there is a proposal to support Mon / Shan /
Karen in Unicode, and I commend your efforts, hopefully the proposal
will be accepted. Is there any news on these?

> 2) Fonts (Status - Partly complete)
> TrueType with PUA (Totally supported by Pango/GTK+ by fully support of
> M17N Rendering Engine) http://www.m17n.org
> OpenType was developed by Myanmar NLP Lab (There are some issues are
> not agree with UTN11 because Kinzi encoding was modified as kinzi =
> Myanmar Letter NGA (1004)+ VIRAMA (1039) + ZERO WIDH JOINER (ZWJ) )

Do you mean that Pango able to use M17N to support Burmese? If I install
the m17n library with Pango/GTK, which fonts will it be able to render?

> 3) Locale (Status - Totally complete)
> Locale Setting was developed by Ngwe Tun (ngwestar gmail com)
> joined with Myanmar NLP Lab.

Excellent!! Has this been submitted to the glibc maintainers? I don't
see anything in their CVS repository:

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/libc/localedata/locales/?cvsroot=glibc

> 4) Collation (Status - Partly complete but not fully tested)
> Collation setting was developed Keith (http://www.thanlwinsoft.org)
> closely joined working by Myanmar NLP Lab.
>
> 5) Gnome Translation (Status - Started but can't standardized)
> Several person involved in Interface translation. They did their
> favour terminology. There are not available standard computer
> terminology reference.

Good to hear progress is being made. That website is quite informative
and useful, thanks for the link.

> 6) Keyboard (Status - Partly complete with SCIM Keyboard Helper)
> Myanmar Keyboard facilitated by M17N Engine (*.mim) which currently
> supported by SCIM Engine. And Also Keith developed SCIM-KMFL Modules.
> So we can type burmese character properly in GTK+ application.

Excellent news. Also, have you tested the Burmese keyboard layout
included with the xfree86 and xorg xwindows servers?

> 7) http://fixedsys.org/~node_ue/fonts/ Issues
> I have downloaded and tested their developed Myanmar Opentype font.
> They are reproduction of MyaZedi, Myanmar commercial Font. MyaZedi

Hmmm, the glyph shapes do appear to be similar, has Mark confirmed that
MPH Yangon is derived from MyaZedi? If it is derived, it would probably
be illegal to distribute, since MyaZedi is marked "Copyright (c)
Solveware, 2003. All rights reserved".

> downloaded version (http://www.etrademyanmar.com/Extras/MyaZedi.ttf)
> have some spacing issues that made by Font Developer. I've confirmed
> to pabs in last week. Definitely, I can figure out that can be fixed
> in Font. I can support new opentype font (Under GPL License) which is
> developed by Myanmar NLP Lab.

It is good to hear that the font spacing issue can be fixed and that a
free Burmese Unicode font will be available. What was the problem that
caused the font spacing issue?

> And MPH Yangon are not fully compatible with UTN11 and some features
> are missing complex encoding. I can provide some missing rendering
> issues for MPH Yangon.

This is unfortunate, perhaps you could inform Mark about this?

In addition:

What is your opinion on the SIL Graphite Burmese stuff?

Are you aware of any software to convert text using the Burmese ASCII
fonts into Unicode? The only one I know of is a Planet -> MyaZedi
converter:

http://www.girlza.com/my.php
http://www.girlza.com/my.php?display=source

Opps, I note that there is TECkit, are you aware of any more?

I note on the ThanLwinSoft downloads page, there are some RPMs for
fontconfig and the like. Do these differ from the upstream versions, and
have the patches been submitted for inclusion in upstream?

Would it be appreciated if I attempted to package all the software,
fonts, locale data, etc for the debian project (http://debian.org) and
have it uploaded?

> I've informed to pabs some locale information data. But He don't care
> on our effort in Myanmar localization.

I never received any such locale data, nor any response to my reply, and
I do care about the ongoing effort to support Burmese in free software.
I checked my spam-killer logs and all mails from yourself were delivered
to my inbox, not deleted. Perhaps you didn't send it?

And finally, thanks for doing so much excellent work to enable support
of Burmese in free software. Lets hope that the work can be completed
before Microsoft Windows Longhorn is released :)

--
bye,
pabs

http://pabs.zip.to