Re: rendering the burmese unicode font MPH Yangon

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 11:55 +0000, Gora Mohanty wrote:

> > Also, any info about the status of Burmese support in GNU/Linux
> > would be appreciated, for instance is there a my_MM locale
> > available? I attempted one, but without knowledge of the locale
> > format or Burmese, I didn't get too far.
>
> There does not seem to be a glibc my_MM locale, though strangely
> there exists a /usr/share/locale/my_MM/LC_MESSAGES directory. Creating
> a locale does need at least some basic knowledge of Burmese, e.g.,
> names of days of the week, month names, collation order, etc. If
> this stuff can be made available, making a locale is not too
> difficult.

On debian, only gaim puts files there (according to apt-file).

I'm in semi-regular contact with people from Burma who are involved in
Burma Indymedia[1], only problem is that they are used to dealing with
Burmese ASCII fonts rather than Unicode. I suppose it would be possible
to come up with some kind of font -> Unicode translator in order to
facilitate this, not sure how feasible this is. I've a couple of other
contacts who might be able to help with the Burmese side.

I also note that the MyaZedi font[1] has the same problem as MPH Yangon,
perhaps a comparison is helpful? MyaZedi is a Unicode font with extra
characters in spots not defined in the Unicode spec.

1. http://burma.indymedia.org
2. http://www.etrademyanmar.com/Extras/MyaZedi.ttf

--
bye,