Re: khmer modul for Pango

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 23:41 +0700, Jens Herden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to announce the first version of the Khmer module for Pango.
> It is available now at
>  http://www.khmeros.info/download/pango-khmer-patch.zip
>
> Inside is a diff for the changes of the buildsystem and the code for the
> module. This compiles here fine with the current CVS.
>
> I would be happy if someone would have a look at it and maybe test it.
> If there are no problems I would be happy if this could go into CVS.

This is very nice work. Clean code and very well commented.
I don't see any major problems with it at all. (I haven't actually
checked the Khmer logic :-)

The comments I do have:

 - It's not actually necessary to use separate rulesets for GPOS and
   GSUB .. other modules do that, but that's just a carry over
   from older versions of Pango where you couldn't separately apply
   the GSUB and GPOS rules if you needed to do processing in-between.

 - The code is using C++/C99 style comments, This causes problems
   for some compilers, so the classic C style comments need to be used.

 - While the code is using two character indents, the indentation
   doesn't really quite match Pango style ... see
   pango/docs/TEXT/coding-style. Using Pango style isn't mandatory for
   modules, but it does make them easier to maintain.

It would help me a little bit if you wanted to make another version
of your patch with the comments / indentation fixed up. But if you
don't have the time, I can do that myself when I merge the patch.

What I'd like to do is add the module to the development branch of
GTK+, and if no problems show up before then, merge it back to
stable for 1.8.2. (I'm going to do a 1.8.1 release on Monday or Tuesday.
1.8.2 will probably be in a month or so.)

> In the moment I am aware of one problem with this, but I am not sure where to
> look to solve it. It happens only with some fonts, the fonts from KhmerOS :-(
> It appears to me that there are problems related to a mark to mark anchor
> because in some situations a glyph is not at the correct position. This
> happens if there are stacked subscripts.
>
> The same fonts are working with ICU and QT, so I think the problems is in
> Pango and not in the fonts.
>
> Are there known problems with glyph positioning or anchor handling?

All this is handled in the pango/opentype so it's strange that you'd
have problems with Pango and not in Qt since they share almost identical
code.

If you can give a test case of:

 - Input string (and what font you are using)
 - Image of output you get
 - Image of what output you expect

I can take a look.