Re: character by name on the gnome canvas, custom fontencoding

Owen Taylor writes:

> - If you use a postscript font with the standard Adobe Unicode
>   character names for PUA codepoints

This seems the way to go.  Currently we use custom names, mostly for
hystorical reasons.  I glanced at unicode music character names and
there are some provisions for music characters/glyphs, but those are
too simplistic for typesetting real world music, iirc.  A collection
of music glyphs is not really the same thing as a text font.

>  - If you use an OpenType/CFF font (or TrueType font, but you seem
>   to have Type1 outlines) with a Unicode character map.

Yes, we have a Type1 font.  Is it not possible to supply a Unicode
character map with a Type 1 font?

> which uses various misencoded and custom encoded fonts. So,
> hopefully we'll have some more flexibility here for Pango-1.6.

That may be interesting too, as I don't think that using standard
Adobe Unicode names is an option, for a music font.

> But in the short term, you'll certainly have the easiest time
> if you can adjust the encoding of the font.

We have full control over the font, but I'd rather to find out about
and do the right thing, there's no short time hurry.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke gnu org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter