how to international GTK app

Hi all,

	Sorry for the elementary question in comparison to other messages
here, but I have a GTK application completed but would like to enable it
to handle other languages (that is, other languages as input, and not with
respect to how the dialog boxes, pull-down boxes, etc. look like -- the
latter can remain in English).  So yes, I made the mistake of writing an
app with English in mind at first, and now, have to go back fixing all the
places where I made short cuts with the distinction between characters and
bytes.

	Is anyone aware of a how-to which explains how one could port a
GTK app in this way?  That is, what to look out for?  And if not, could
someone point me into a direction within the API docs where I should
concentrate on?  As an example of how lost I am, I don't even know whether
to look in the GTK, GDK, or pango documentation, though all 3 seem
relevant.  Thank you!

Ray