Re: pango + zwj

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 05:57, Saravanan wrote:

> The problem we have is something different. The conjunct
> formation that you specify is working well in our
> language.  Ie., consonant + virama + consonant forms a
> single conjunct.

It is slightly different in Sinhala, where this is an
optional feature.  consonant + virama + consonant forms two
conjuncts, one for consonant + virama, and the other for
the second consonant.  To form a single conjunct, we need
consonant + virama + ZWJ + consonent.

> There  is no problem with the conjunct formation. But the
> problem is with some special symbols known as
> Chillaksharams or soft consoants(5 chars).  Actually it
> requires the ZWJ at the end for  forming the combination.
> ie., Corresponding consonant + virama + ZWJ should produce
> a single "Chillaksharam".

In Sinhalese, there is a short form for virama + ZWJ + Ya
called Yansaya.  The general use is to replace the consonent
+ virama + ZWJ + Ya with consonant + yansaya.

And it didn't work.  BUT, when we set the GSUB table of the
OpenType font to replace virama + Ya with yansaya, it
worked.  We are now going through the indic-ot module to
figure out the best way of handling this.

> The problem is, the Pango I have doesn't recognise the
> ZWJ for forming the combinations. Just the 1st 2 symbols
> are displayed as it is. It might be due to the Pango
> version I am using. I am using RH9.0 with pango-1.5.2
> (source compilation).

You seem to have the latest pango.  Please make sure that
you don't have any older pango libs hanging around.

	Anuradha

--

http://www.linux.lk/~anuradha/

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is intended for the addressee only.  Any unauthorized disclosure, use, dissemination, copying, or distribution of this message or any of its attachments or the information contained in this e-mail, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this message.