Re: postscript fonts vs. pango aliases

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 18:12, Adrian E. Feiguin wrote:
> I am developing an application that is wysiwyg and generates postscript
> output. I have wrappers that basically assign a pango alias to each of
> the 35 default Adobe fonts, eg:
> {
>    "Times-Roman", // ps name
>   "times, Medium" //pango name"
> }
>
> I want the output in the screen to look the closest possible to the ps
> output. The problem is that the user can change the fonts aliases at
> will, either with pangox.aliases or fonts.conf/local.conf, and make say
> "Helvetica" look like "Courier". I don't want this to happen, I want
> Times to look like Times, and Helvetica to look like Helvetica (unless
> the font is not present, in case I use "sans"). Any idea how to overcome
> this?

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but when trying to get
WYSIWYG, it's *much* easier to make the fonts on the printer look
like the fonts on the screen than vice-versa.

The approach that Windows takes, the approach that GNOME takes with
gnome-print is to simply to embed all fonts in the PS output.
(sub-setted as appropriate.)

Failing that, what I'd suggest is mapping the PS font names to their
URW equivalents ... Times-Roman to Nimbus Roman No9 L, etc. they are
very close copies, present on almost all Linux and similar systems,
and their is little sane reason for a user to remap them to something
else ... if a user does that, they get what they deserve.