Re: Problems with cedil

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 08:17, Amaury Jacquot wrote:
> Pablo Saratxaga wrote:
> > Kaixo!
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 07:45:47PM -0300, Mauricio Oliveira Carneiro wrote:
> >
> >>I'm having problems with GTK-based applications when it comes to special
> >>(portuguese-brazillian) chars.
> >>
> >>Specially the c-cedil. It works alright for my entire system, since I
> >>changed the following on my /etc/sysconfig/i18n (RH 9) , but the gtk
> >>based apps seems not to respond accordingly.
>
> on fedora 0.94, there is a "cedilla" setting
> imho, there should be a gconf setting for this, so that the "default"
> could be set per-user...

With GTK+-2.2.3 and newer, you can do

 export GTK_IM_MODULE=cedilla

to make the "cedilla" module the default (Just the default module with
c_with_acute replaced with c_cedilla)

Making the default input method an xsettings parameter (and thus
possible to hook up to GConf) isn't unreasonable. But I've been
reluctant to do a lot of work in connecting an user interface
to the GTK+ input module system because:

 A) A real solution needs to present keymaps and input methods
    together in coherent fashion. We need to do as well or better
    than competing operating systems.

 B) A real solution can't be based on GTK+ IM modules, because
    GTK+ IM modules are GTK+ specific. When I wrote the GTK+
    IM module system, I thought long term we would have
    an XIM module, an IIIMF module, a module for windows,
    and a fallback module for the framebuffer, etc.

    The free desktop needs a good input method system. GTK+
    IM modules are not it.

 C) A real solution needs to properly handle remembering the
    input method and/or keyboard group per toplevel, xchat
    tab, etc.