Problems with cedil

I'm having problems with GTK-based applications when it comes to special
(portuguese-brazillian) chars.

Specially the c-cedil. It works alright for my entire system, since I
changed the following on my /etc/sysconfig/i18n (RH 9) , but the gtk
based apps seems not to respond accordingly.

My c-cedil looks like a c with an acute instead of a cedil. The rest is
working. (á, é, í, ó, ú, ã, õ, â, ê, ô)

I'm trying to understand how the GTK based applications get this i18n
information so I can fix it.

Thanks for any help !

--
Mauricio Oliveira Carneiro <carneiro tecgraf puc-rio br>