Re: Possible Pango 1.4 ideas

 --- Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote: >
> Damon Chaplin <damon karuna uklinux net> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 17:24, Amaury Jacquot wrote:
> >
> > > If you could add the writing of text on a
> rotated base line
> > > (unless that is included in Runarounds/shaped
> text boxes),
> > > I would be grateful
> >
> > That was next on my list, but I had to draw the
> line somewhere.
> > Also, drawing text on paths may require a
> dependency on libart or
> > something similar to provide a bezier path
> datatype and do the
> > calculations. (Maybe that is simple enough to do
> internally in Pango -
> > I'm not sure.)
> >
> > But I think you could still do text on a path
> within an application.
> > You could translate the coordinates returned by
> Pango and render the
> > text yourself.
>
> Rotated baselines is very high on the Pango request
> list:
>
>  - It's needed to do vertical text the way I want to
> do vertical text
>  - It comes up in a lot of apps (gnumeric needs it,
> for instance)

Wouldn't it make more sense to allow arbitrary 2D
transformations of the character space?  This is
surely
going to be needed at some point anyway for paths.
It will definitely be needed when we want to do both
scaling and rotating of the same letter.

I think vertical text is a special case which is
probably better off with specific optimized code.

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com