Re: Yiddish input method

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 10:06:18AM -0800, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 March 2003 09:19 am, Raphael Finkel wrote:
> > But in an entry widget, such as that used to elicit a file
> > name, gtk+ is calling my context reset routine after each  keystroke, which
> > confuses my input method. It's not worth worrying about; I  don't expect
> > folks to want file names with Yiddish characters, but who  knows?
> >
> > Raphael Finkel

BTW, should the URL line of galeon be always LTR? Chances are that the
URL will not be RTL. But the current default for an RTL locale is an RTL
line.

> I'm not holding my breath, but I want full UTF-8 file names.

With regards to file-names cp1255 is basically like any other non-latin1
8bit codepage. Avoid it if you can. Stick with UTF-8 or similar.

If you work with a UTF locale your life will become simpler.

> I have tried Yiddish file names on several systems. On some, I
> can create the file names and see them in listings (maybe not
> the right way around), but other file processes get confused.
> For example, an application may be able to handle Unicode file
> names in the regular file Open and Save dialogs, but not when
> clicking on the file to invoke the app.

plain ISO9660 does not allow aany non-ascii chars (right?), but with the
joliet extentions (-j to mkisofs, IIRC) the filenames are kept in the
image as UTF-16.

Windows' vfat also keeps chars in UTF-16 or something similar. When you
mount the partition with the option 'utf8' you can generally use
(almost) any UTF-8 char for creation, fetching, listing etc. of file
names.

On linux filesystems, though, there is no translation of the filenames
to a "standard" charset. Thus the names are saved in the charsets that
you used to save them. If you saved a file with a name in ISO-8859-7 and
later try to read it as a name in ISO-8859-1 you'll probably get some
gibrish instead of error.

And thus it is best to always stick to UTF-8 here.

--
mailto:tzafrir technion ac il       +---------------------------+