Re: About pangowin32...

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

> Hans Breuer writes:
>  > It appears to still work this way but there needs to be a global alias
>  > file named 'pango.aliases'. The format has changed as well but
>  >
>  > sans = sans
>  > sans += "bitstream cyberbit"
>  >
>  > does have the desired visual impact :-)
>
> Aargh, thanks! I should have thought of that, to look for the
> functionality on a higher (non-Pango-backend-specific) level.. Will
> have to read the code to figure out what can be put in that file. (Can
> one for instance specify locale-specific mappings, in order to get
> locale-dependent fonts for the CJKV ideographs?)

Yes. This is basically the reason I removed alias support in the lowlevel
module. Pango already handle lists of fontnames wherever you can specify
a font. All that is needed is a simple way to say "the name foo really
means this list of fonts".

Unfortunately I think work on implementing pango-global aliases were held
up by other issues at some point. I still think it's the right thing
though.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a leather-clad playboy grifter living undercover at Ringling Bros.
Circus. She's an elegant mutant mechanic operating on the wrong side of the
law. They fight crime!