Re: Features needed for high-end DTP apps

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 21:55, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 21:09, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >
> > Joaquín Cuenca Abela <cuenca pacaterie u-psud fr> writes:

> > > I don't quite agree, here.  When I used InDesign 2 it didn't looked
> > > "very disconcerting".
> > >
> > > Most of the time, new characters don't change previous line breaks, so
> > > overall it works in a pretty intuitive way.
> >
> > I'm basing my comment on the using the editor in Chris Lahey's 'go',
> > which used libhnj. It may be that InDesign does something a bit more
> > sophisticated.
>
> We could do something similar to how Quark does forced alignment. When
> you are initially typing in the paragraph, it just uses normal justified
> alignment, but when you hit Return to end the paragraph it switches over
> to forced alignment (i.e. the last line spreads out to fill the line).
> The paragraph then keeps its forced alignment, even when you edit it
> again.
>
> In our case, we could do simple line-breaking (i.e. break at the first
> available place) while you are editing, and switch over to fancy
> TeX-like line-breaking when you finish the paragraph.

Remember that the user is most likely to find disconcerting the behavior
of a TeX-like paragraph algorithm at the edition of an existing
paragraph.

The creation of a new paragraph usually works much smoother than the
edition of an existent one.

Cheers,

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela