Re: Features needed for high-end DTP apps

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 21:55, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 12:01, Gernot Jander wrote:
>
> The TexBook seems to say that German words no longer change their
> spelling. Is that true?
>
>      "Before 1998, some ^{German} words changed their spelling
>       when split between lines. For example, `backen' became `bak-ken'
>       and `Bettuch' sometimes became `Bett-tuch'."
>
> Maybe the best thing to do in German is just to have a dictionary of
> specific words, i.e. no patterns.

Ouch.  That will hurt.  Remember than German has plenty of flexions for
a given word.

Btw, once I had an article about a hyphenation algorithm based on a
neural network, specially designed to german-like languages.

If you're interested I should be able to find it again.

Cheers,

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela
cuenca pacaterie u-psud fr