Pango licensing problem?

I am having some problems with Pango licensing. Pango 1.0.4's
'pango/opentype/README' tells that the license for files in the
'pango/opentype' subtree are under a license that is in the file
'freetype-license.txt'. But there is no trace of the file anywhere.

More investigation. In the same directory, 'pango/opentype/ftxgsub.c'
mentions:

 *  This file is part of the FreeType project, and may only be used
 *  modified and distributed under the terms of the FreeType project
 *  license, LICENSE.TXT.  By continuing to use, modify, or distribute
 *  this file you indicate that you have read the license and
 *  understand and accept it fully.

Of course there is no such file named as 'LICENSE.TXT' either. So this
should be the FreeType project license. I check the GNU software licenses
page at <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html> to find about the
license and its GPL-compatiblity. It mentions:

   The FreeType license

      The FreeType license is a non-copyleft free software license which
      is incompatible with the GPL for technical reasons.

I guess this is a very bad problem. In my reading, this means that let
alone Pango is not completely LGPL, one may not dynamically or statically
link it with GPL software. :-((

I really hope that I'm missing some point. Owen?

roozbeh