Re: Pango & printing?

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 09:15, Chema Celorio wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 01:23, Joaquín Cuenca Abela wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 07:05, Chema Celorio wrote:
> ..
> > It may be a little standalone library, as I guess that anyway everybody
> > is going to copy&paste it in their project.
>
> Why copy and paste it? library size is not a reason to copy and pasting
> it. We want to share bugfixes too.

Nope, but non stable APIs, and little widespread/too young libraries are
good reasons.

When you add a dependency on a young library you're (much) most likely
be exposed to future incompatibilities, and users having exactly the
wrong version, than bugfixes.  The fact that it will be a little library
just erases the only valid point again copy&pasting it.

Of course, when the library matures and widespreads, it may make sense
to relax the dependency on the library, but right now there is no way
we're going to ask solaris or irix (or linux) users to install an
obscure 20-40k library just to get abiword running, and risk to break
abiword just because they install the latest and greatest mozilla,
or...  It's just not worth the pain.

Cheers,

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela