Re: Chinese anti-alias fonts

Kaixo!

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 12:00:16AM +0800, Darren Chuck wrote:

> Everything works fine in aa after i added 2 lines in XftConfig:
> match any family == "sans"	edit family += "Arial";
> match any family == "sans"	edit family += "ar pl mingti2l big5";

It would be better to use =+ instead of += I think
( += adds *in front of* the font list; =+ adds *after* the font list).

In this case ("sans") it may not be that important; but it may be for
others, for example there should be a line:

match any family == "Arial"     edit family =+ "sans";

so if you don't have arial font, the "sans" pseudo font will be used
instead; but here use of =+ instead of += is important; if you
use += "sans" then even having arial.ttf you won't be able to use it
as it will be overwritten by "sans".

> be reminded that i'm using Arial for charset which isn't big5

Yes.
Xft uses unicode internally, and in a font list jumps to the next font
when a char isn't available in the first font.
So, as you defined your "sans" font as being: "ar pl mingti2l big5,Arial,sans"
in that order, you are using first the chars in the mingti font.

That means that you are using mingti one even for latin letters; maybe
it would be better to have arial first, eg:

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975