Re: Flipping for scrolled windows

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:

> Kaixo!
>
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 10:36:09PM +0300, Uri David Akavia wrote:
>
> > What I'd really like is an ability to decide wether the enviorment (WM
> > menus and behavior) is RTL or LTR (which includes the location of the
> > close and minimize buttons), decide independantly whether the menus and
> > default location should be LTR or RTL,

Regarding the placement of buttns on the window title, I still think that
they shoud not be mirrored, as there is not much to gain, and there is
much to lose (a user accidentally pressing the "close" button instead of
the "specials" button because the places of those buttons were switched. I
think that this should be an attribute of the window manager, and better
not change from one window to another.

> Now, I think indeed having the choice for scrollbars is good; and I still
> think they should be mirrored :)
>
> What I mean is:
>
> * in LTR: default placement as now, and have an option somewhere:
> "[ ] place scrollbars in the left"
> * in RTL the placement (either default or user overriden) is mirrored.
> which implies the option text must then be:
> "[ ] place scrollbars on the right"
>
> in order to avoid translating chaos the both text label should exist
> and be used something like this:
>
>  if (right_to_left)
> 	somewidget( _("place scrollbars on the right") );
>  else
> 	somewidget( _("place scrollbars on the left") );

Keep in mind, though, that the config item maybe set from a different
program (or in a different time) and therefore that text may not reflect
exactly the real direction the user will have.

OTOH, the alternative of labeling this "scrollbars in the beggining of the
line" or alike is probably more confusing.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:tzafrir technion ac il