Re: Adding context to GtkIMContextIM

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 11:03:57AM -0600, Mark Leisher wrote:

> Little details like reodering vowel and tone marks are things that make an
> input method nice.
>
> At the risk of sounding like a broken record, again, this sort of thing is
> trivial using the MIM package I put together:
>
>   http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/mim/mim-1.0.tar.gz
>
> You can see it in action as part of a Java Applet at:
>
>   http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/jmutt
>
>   Choose the Thai->Thai Context Demo input method and type "-h7".  The vowel
>   and tone marks are reordered.  Here are the relevant lines in the input
>   method:
>
>     bind "h"	send 0x0E49	keycap 0x0E49
>     bind "h7"	backspace	send 0x0E360x0E49
>
>   NOTE: Since moving the applet to all Swing instead of all AWT, we've been
>         having lots of problems with many different browsers.  We may be going
>         back to AWT.

It's fantastic that this idea is actually realized. In fact, it was also
one of our discussed alternatives. But we deferred it because it can't
be generalized to cover all stty settings of X terminal emulators.
(Note that we're talking about XIM.)

Regarding your jmutt demo, I'm interested in testing the idea. But I'm
not successful in setting Thai font for the applet yet. Would you have
some suggestions?

And, regarding the input method rules, I think it's still too exhaustive
to list all character combinations. The rules for Thai may end up in
several megabytes and being hard to maintain. So, is it possible to
write the rules as patterns of "character classes" instead (like flex
rule, maybe)?

Regards,
-Thep.
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
Information Research and Development Division, NECTEC