Re: pango arabic ft2 module

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Christian wrote:

> Hi, I adapted the arabic-ot to be used with ft2. I need this in the
> context of an application displaying arabic text on linux framebuffer.
> GTK2fb/Pango works great, thanks! I'm attaching the code if it's
> useful to someone else. I just have a question about the subindex font
> of ft2 interface. I had to add the following kludge (if
> subfont_index==0 ....) in pangoft2.c:

So you use GtkFB? Cool. Does it work? Is it a commercial project?

I get very little feedback from people using GtkFB, so i have no idea if
anyone is using it at all.

> pango_ft2_get_face (PangoFont      *font,
>                     PangoFT2Subfont subfont_index)
> {

>   if (subfont_index==0) subfont_index++;
>   if (subfont_index < 1 || subfont_index > ft2font->n_fonts)

> may you point me to the right solution?

Isn't subfont_index 0 (glyph 0) only used for the unknown glyph? Were do
you need this?

Anyway, I'll take a look at that problem. We do want to make the pango
core handle aliases though (patch posted), and that would mean we could
remove all the subfont stuff from modules (except for the core X fonts
one).

We would also like to somehow integrate the different Freetype backends
(Xft and Ft2) so that they can use common modules in some ways. We haven't
really discussed this yet though.

/ Alex