Re: pango arabic ft2 module

Alex Larsson writes:
 > On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Christian wrote:
 >

 > So you use GtkFB? Cool. Does it work? Is it a commercial project?

Yes I'm using it and I am very satisfied with it. I didn't found any
problems in the core GTK libraries (I snapshotted the CVS a couple of
weeks ago). The project is to use a low end 486 with framebuffer to
show HTML pages (STPC system-on-chip). I ported cschtml widget to GTK2
and pangoized text output (it must show arabic text). I used fonts
from windoze and all works great. I'm cleaning up code, strating to
send out patches (I started with pango :-) and a full release will
appear on the site of the company that employs me. I really didn't
found bugs, only NYIs. It takes quite a lot to render complex pages
(up to 10 seconds) but's it's ok for the application, showed data
don't change very frequently but I need HTML.

 > I get very little feedback from people using GtkFB, so i have no idea if
 > anyone is using it at all.

I do and have other plans ..... I'm looking about porting mozilla to
GTK2 and so also framebuffer .... it's a biiiiiig project, and I'm not
sure I can handle it. Well I prefer GTK to QT and GTKfb will be better
than QTe.  If you need some specific testing or someone to write code
maybe I can help.

 > > pango_ft2_get_face (PangoFont      *font,
 > >                     PangoFT2Subfont subfont_index)
 > > {

 > >   if (subfont_index==0) subfont_index++;
 > >   if (subfont_index < 1 || subfont_index > ft2font->n_fonts)

 > > may you point me to the right solution?
 >
 > Isn't subfont_index 0 (glyph 0) only used for the unknown glyph? Were do
 > you need this?

it's not directly called by the arabic-ft2 module, but another
function in pangoft2 gets called with an subindex of 0 implicitly. I
can send you the backtrace from the coredump if you need it.

 > We would also like to somehow integrate the different Freetype backends
 > (Xft and Ft2) so that they can use common modules in some ways. We haven't
 > really discussed this yet though.

Actually much of the code is the same ..... I just stealed most of it
:-)

Bye!