Re: About Windows GTK+ BIG5... WINDOWS?!

Mark Storer wrote:

I wasn't aware that Pango ran on win32 (or is this just gtk+?).  Wow.  And
now I've gone from vaguely curious to Genuinely Interested.  So what's
involved in using the Win32 version of Pango.

See, it just so happens that we're just starting the design phase on a
multi-lingual layout engine (including vertical type, all the screwy
japanese layout rules, and so on).  While we've looked at your design docs,
we didn't think the code would be of any use to us.  I'm pleasantly
surprised to know better.

Hey. Asian languages don't have any screwy layout rules. Its English you are thinking of. Everything in Asian languages is on a nice rectangular grid, unless some dumb western typesetting system mucks it up!

I take it pango.org hasn't been updated in a while... (last status report
filed almost exactly a year ago).  Is there a more up-to-date source of info
on the Pango project?

And having poked around pango.org, I see that win32 font support has been in
the API since Jan-26 (though the api pages themselves aren't dated).

How about adding vertical support to Pango, as a part of your project? I believe vertical text support is a long term goal of Owen's. It would be wonderful to see it go in soon.

Regards,
Steve