RE: About Windows GTK+ BIG5... WINDOWS?!

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Mark Storer wrote:

> I wasn't aware that Pango ran on win32 (or is this just gtk+?).  Wow.  And
> now I've gone from vaguely curious to Genuinely Interested.  So what's
> involved in using the Win32 version of Pango.

Compiling Gtk+ cvs HEAD on Win32 is sort of an adventure, but it normally
builds after you've updated the makefiles.

Some help and binaries are availible on
http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/new-downloads.html

> See, it just so happens that we're just starting the design phase on a
> multi-lingual layout engine (including vertical type, all the screwy
> japanese layout rules, and so on).  While we've looked at your design docs,
> we didn't think the code would be of any use to us.  I'm pleasantly
> surprised to know better.

Cool. I recently did some work on the native Win32 font code, and it seems
to work very well now.

> I take it pango.org hasn't been updated in a while... (last status report
> filed almost exactly a year ago).  Is there a more up-to-date source of info
> on the Pango project?

Pango development is very much integrated into the general Gtk+
development right now. A lot of discussion about it occur at
gtk-devel-list gnome org

/ Alex