Re: gdk-pixbuf compilation problems in cvs

Kaixo!

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 06:56:25PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > should put up a pop-up menu, where one of the entries is
> > "Special Unicode characters". This should present a sub menu
> > with the option of entering the unicode characters ZWJ, RLM, LRM,

> I'm not sure those control characters even do anything at the
> moment... I remember a long thread on gtk-i18n-list about what they
> are supposed to do, but am not sure what the decision was and in
> particular how to hack it into the text widget.

Those three above are really usefull!
ZWJ is even mandatory for indic languages.
RLM and LRM (if I'm not mistaken about the names) are very usefull for
all RTL languages, as they allow the writter to explicitely tell the
wanted behaviour, something very useful for complex cases (like a RTL test
including a quotation in LTR which itself contains a RTL quotation, or
the complexitiy of using neutral chars when some RTL ones appear too
(eg: number, maybe you remember the thred on the "minus/dash problem"
(eg 8-bit being rendered improperly, when user wanted "tib-8" obviously,
but the engine did something else (I don't remember right now, maybe
"-8tib" probably)))

About how to hack them in the text widget, the problem is only for the
the manipulation of them when in the "control chars are invisible" mode;
for input it shouldn't be a problem at all.