How to make Gjiten show Japanese text?

Hi all, i'm using gjiten, a gtk application to browse japanese
dictionaries like edict.
I'm using glibc 2.2 which, if i'm not wrong, has all the japanese locale
needed to show characters. Also is installed the XFree package
(4.0.3) with japanese fonts.

So when i execute:
> LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucjp gjiten

It seems the locale is well configured, but i only see garbage instead of
japanese characters in gjiten window. I got this warnings on the xterm:

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation
Gdk-WARNING **:     JISX0208.1983-0
Gdk-WARNING **:     JISX0201.1976-0

I don't know too much about locale configuration, so i'm stucked and don't
know what to do now.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

David Gómez

"The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
 whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra