Re: Thai/Devanagari in GNOME Terminal

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Chookij Vanatham wrote:

> Again, what's if those sequences are in the text file already,
> I still don't want to see them being displayed the same.
>
> Again, input methods should not be confused with output methods.
> Input methods can prevent these but there is one mode in that
> input methods not to check any invalid sequence and I use it
> to input invalid sequence to teach Thai kid that this's not
> the right way to spell it. Hopefully, that Thai user person
> wouldn't tell me not to input it...Right ? too much to control users.
> Users come first.... :)

Well, yeah. But there are other things the IM can do. e.g. bleep. Or send
U+FFFD. Or anything.

> Does it mean that the sequence (2) which is not spelling correctly in Thai
> is going to consider that it's equivalent to the seq (1) which is the correct
> one ?
> Hmm!!! I think it's getting confused more, isn't it ?

I undertand the point you are making. But I understand it, it's not so
much a spelling error, as an "encoding" error, and the only reason they
have to be treated as errors is due to the inadequacies of the software.
Surely it is better to remove these inadeqacies?

--
Robert Brady
robert suse co uk