Re: Thai/Devanagari in GNOME Terminal

]
] On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Chookij Vanatham wrote:
]
] > 	V1 of sequence 1 can be displayed as Zero width
] > 	V1 of sequence 2 can be displayed as Non-Zero width
]
] > 	How would wcwidth() and wcswidth() be able to help ?
]
] Obviously not at all when the same character has different widths by
] context. I'm provisionally told that arabic and hebrew don't have this
] problem.
Well!!! here is my comment.
As Thai person speaking about arabic language, arabic vowels (fatha, damma,
kasra, fathatan, dammatan, kasratan) will be displayed on top of consonant
like Cons + vowel.

Also, they can have cons + shadda + vowel but I don't think the sequence,
cons + vowel + shadda is the right sequence. So, the same issue which is
existed in arabic script.

How about Davanagari ?

It has the sequence, cons + vowel + candra. I don't think it's the
right sequence of cons + candra + vowel. Shouldn't they be displayed the same ?

]
] There is wcswidth() though, that can be used in the same way. One has to
] break the strings in safe places of course.
That's correct but the application needs to be reminded that everytime to
display line, it needs to pass the whole logical text stream to wcswidth()
and wcwidth() alone shouldn't be enough right ?

] Are word boundaries safe for this in Thai? In general?
Not quite sure if I understand this question.

Chookij V.

]
] I agree that asking for the display width is a better course for the
] future, the question is how much to coddle legacy tools.
]
]  -r