Re: Unicode and C++

                    Derek Simkowiak
                    <dereks@kd-dev.com>        收件人:     Owen Taylor <otaylor@redhat.com>
                    发件人:                   抄送:  gtk-i18n-list@redhat.com,
                    gtk-i18n-list-admin        libstdc++@sourceware.cygnus.com,
                    @gnome.org                 gtk-i18n-list@gnome.org, Nathan Myers
                                               <ncm@cantrip.org>
                                               主题:  Re: Unicode and C++
                    00-07-06 01:02

->         I do have a question about UCS-4 encoding: I thought that the
-> 32-bit encoding was only used with special-purpose, "non-standard" fonts
-> and characters.  I also thought that UCS-2 could encode any (registered)
-> natural script.  (Otherwise, how could Java get away with a 16-bit
char?)
->
->         So, what benefit is there to giving Pango a 32-bit interface?
-> Wouldn't any characters not in UCS-2 need custom fonts and/or glyphs for
-> rendering, thus making Pango unusable as the layout/rendering engine?
     A new encoding standards named GB18030 were publishd Mar.27,2000 in
China ,which uses 32-bit encoding. The old 16 bit encoding zh_CN.GBK will
be replaced with it. So I think it is still usefull for 32-bit encoding .

Thanks,
yang botao
yangbt@legend.com.cn