Re: gdk_set_locale

Kaixo!

On Sat, Jan 15, 2000 at 11:31:18AM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

> The Pango font APIs, which will eventually replace gdk_fontset_load()
> will be designed so that the programmer doesn't have to do
> anything special to get correct handling of international characters -

BTW; I've tryed playing a little with pango and libunicode and, while
some font encodings are in libunicode; the sample viewer in pango still
doesn't use them.
Try a unicode file with the ukrainian letter ghe with upturn; if you have
a koi8-u font it should be displayed; but it isn't (it is if you have
a unicode font with that glyph).

Same for armenian and georgian letters.

For georgian it is even more strange; as even with a unicode font that does
has the proper glyphs it doesn't show up...

Obviously I must declare something in an additional place; but there
isn't much documentation as of yet.
Where should I look for the unicode -> current X11 fonts conversions, in order
to add some more ?

Thanks.

> If the font specified does not contain all the characters in the
> string, then fallbacks will automatically be provided, and there
> will also be standard aliases such as "sans", "serif", "fixed", that
> can be customized by the vendor, system administrator and user.

In addition to fallbacks, and before them; there should be the possibility
to create "virtual fonts".
Often glyphs of some fonts go very well together, but the fonts have
different names. It would be nice to allow the user to make some aliases.
Eg: I would prefer, when the font specified is "Bodoni", to be able to
specify ".VnBodoni" as a the font to use for vietnamese chars; rather
than the default sans serif (Helvetica most likely)

> > or write a FAQ ?
>
> If somebody wants to write an entry on "How do I make my program
> suitable for international use?" for the GTK+ FAQ, that would be
> appreciated.

I wrote something like that some time ago;
look at http://www.linuxi18n.org/gtk-en.html
(in particular did I missed something ?)

> Regards,

Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.ping.be/~pin19314/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975