Re: GTK+ with Pango support

Karl Koehler <koehler@or.uni-bonn.de> writes:

> This really is a _big_ start !

I'm excited, anyways. :-)

> .. although, I have some problems with the demo program and this special
> version of gtk+ :
> - font-sizes in the recource-file don't seem to be really honoured.
>   I get a tiny regular font and was unable to find out the reason within
>   some reasonable amount of time ( I  do seem to be able to get the
>   font sizes I want with the regular gtk+ )

I just hardcoded the font in for now:

    style->font_desc = pango_font_description_from_string ("Sans 10");

(line 1261 of gtkrc.c)

Feel free to change and recompile.

I hardcoded in 10 instead of the old 12 because the combination of:

 - No scaleable Helvetica with my configuration
 - Pango taking resolution into account when choosing fonts
 - XFree86 4.0 reporting the real resolution of my screen

Was producing a choice of font on my setup which was rather LARGE.
(24 pixel, I think) Just needs some tweaking, and writing the code
to set the Pango font in the gtkrc file. I'll probably do that after
I get rid of the last vestiges of old-style fonts from GTK+.

>  - Is the dependency information written correctly ? Everytime I change
>   something and recompile gtk+, it seems to compile much to much
>   ( On the other hand, I don't usually compile gtk+ so often ).
>
> >   Some interesting projects that other people might want to consider:
> >
> >    - Come up with a XKB-based keyboard map for Arabic, so people
> >      can test out the GTK+ editing support with Arabic. (If you
> >      are interested this but don't know how to procede with this,
> >      let me know and I can give some hints.)
>
> Would that be along the lines of changing gtk/gtkentry.c as follows ?

Yes that's right. But I'm in the middle of reworking the input
system to be more "real" - so it actually is quite different now
what I'm doing. (Sorry, I probably shouldn't have asked until
for a fix until I was half-done with the code. thanks anyways...)

> (I hope this is ok as I could not test it due to several problems
>  ranging from too small fonts to the X-Server crashing .. )
> Then one defines a more sensible keyboard mapping program than I did
> using xmodmap ( sorry, I'll post it when I come up with something usable).

The advantage, I think, of using Xkb is that Xkb allows you to
define multiple groups and switch between them, which is what
you want for Arabic, Russian, etc. Unfortunately, Xkb is rather
(OK, very) poorly documented.

BTW - to get Arabic displaying, you'll probably have to modify
the $sysconfdir/pango/pangox_aliases file that gets installed.