Sv: Danish translators look here!!!

> I think we should probably continue this discussion in english since it
> is an internationel forum.
>
> First of all I think the purpose of translating Gnome is to help those
> users who do not master the english language very well, not to aid
> in some patriotic agenda. If I'm uncomfortable with other peoples's
> nationalism, because it excludes me from their community (the select
> circle of people they care about), it wouldn't be right of me to do the
> same to them. But this is not 'gtk-politics-list' so I digress...

That's right. The text was ment to be a little provocating. So the translators
think a little more about how they translate. I have nothing against english
words in Danish, as long as they are pronounced like Danish words, can
be used with the grammar, and that we don't have a word for it before.
We have many of these words (information; design; marketing; etc - many
good words)

For instance when the danes translated speedboad into danish, they
called it speedbåd. boat in danish is båd, but speed is not speed, but
fart. So it would be more natural to call it fartbåd.

But because everybody know the word it will never be changed.
It's the same with words like software, weekend, etc.

What I want the danish people to is to think about how they translate.
Because when a newspaper introduce a new word, and it's english,
danish people will start to use it. I have no problem about using
foreign words in our language. We have many (ex some latin ones;
mus, december, europa; circa; pater; æter; etc)

But these words all follow the danish grammar, and are pronounced
like danish words. Many English are too, for instance; to flirte is called
at flirte in danish.

The bad part is when we easily can translate a word made of other
words into danish, and then instead use the english one. This is
what I don't like. It ruins the grammar, and make it very hard for
new danes to learn the language. And in order to speak danish,
you also need to learn how to speak english, french, etc.

And how are the children supposed to know when the word should be
pronounced the english, french, spanish, or the danish way.???