Re: Documentation coverage patch.

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 07:08:00PM -0400, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> Joakim Ziegler wrote:

>> As requested by Chema and others, we need a way to track the coverage of
>> embedded API documentation, and put that on a web page. The first step
>> towards that is this patch for gtk-doc, which adds two output files, one a
>> list of the undocumented functions and macros in the module, and the other
>> containing the counts and percentages. It's based on a patch HP sent me.

>> Please review this patch and tell me if it's ok to commit. gtk-doc doesn't
>> have a HACKING file, and Owen suggested I send it here for review.

> I'd prefer it if it didn't output $MODULE-symbols.txt by default, unless
> there is a good reason. Maybe add a command-line option for that.

The only good reason I can see is that this is intended to be run
automatically on the web server to generate a web page with the overview.
This means it's run from the makefiles, which again means that every module
that we monitor in this way needs to have its makefiles patched to support
this option (unless I'm missing something fundamental here). That makes
deploying this page a lot more work. I don't know if that's a convincing
arugment or not.

> Maybe the $MODULE-undocumented.txt and $MODULE-doc_percentage.txt files
> should be combined into one $MODULE-status.txt file, with the summary
> at the top.

I agree with this. I'll fix it.

--
   Joakim Ziegler - Ximian Web Monkey - joakim ximian com - Radagast IRC
 FIX sysop - Free Software Coder - Writer - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer