Re: Patches

Eric Lemings wrote:

> Owen Taylor wrote:
> >
> > Eric Lemings <eric b lemings lmco com> writes:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Would anybody have problems with patches submitted to make gtk-doc more
> > > compatible with javadoc, in terms of both functionality and
> > > look-and-feel?
> >
> > That's a very general, and hard to answer question. Could you
> > provide some specifics about what you want to do?
> >
> >                                         Owen
>
> Okay, for starters, I'd like to see the HTML output generated by gtk-doc
> look more like the Java API Specification pages, mostly in simple
> formatting details rather than organizational changes.  This wouldn't
> cause any headaches (unless it's by reading some of the tiny fonts used
> in the footnotes).  ;)

I'd be happy to accept patches to make it prettier, if there was general
agreement on them.

Though at some point we may be using the Nautilus help system to view
the DocBook files directly. I'm not sure what, if any, stylesheet support
is available there. So you may want to check that before doing much work.

There are other tasks that you could do for gtk-doc if you want, like
making it possible to document things like structs/enums/unions/macros
in the source code files. And making it possible to add the short and long
section descriptions in the source files as well.

So we could eventually get rid of the tmpl/* files and the MODULE-sections.txt
files altogether. These were originally used so I could do all the documentation
and organization of sections separate from the source code (since the GTK+
developers weren't interested in documentation at the time ;-)
But they have made gtk-doc a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Ideally gtk-doc would just grab all the documentation from the source files,
maybe do a bit of dynamic querying to get information on the hierarchy/signals/args,
then output the DocBook. And that would be it.

Unfortunately I have practically no time to work on gtk-doc myself.

Damon