Re: Template Makefile.ams and srcdir != builddir

Peter Williams <peter newton cx> writes:

> On 22 Jun 2001 00:11:09 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > > Solution: make all the stampfiles in builddir, I guess. Is there a
> > > reason that certain stampfiles are made in srcdir, or is it only a side
> > > effect of the "cd $(srcdir)" at the beginning of the rules?
> >
> > gtk.args isn't a stamp file. It is a generated file that just happens
> > to be empty for this module.
> >

> Not gtk.args -- html.stamp eg. In builddir I have:
>
> 	html-build.stamp
> 	scan-build.stamp
> 	sgml-build.stamp
> 	tmpl-build.stamp
>
> and in srcdir I have:
>
> 	html.stamp
> 	sgml.stamp
> 	tmpl.stamp
>
> I think if these latter stamps are put in builddir (with a mv I guess)
> it will work. I'll try to test this.

Well, since the particular problem we were looking, and diagnosed,
didn't involve any of these files, but gobject.args, it seems unlikely
to me. Maybe I'm wrong though.

(I won't deny that these stamp files probably have the _same_ problem,
but just fixing them won't fix the problem.)

Regards,
                                        Owen