Re: Template Makefile.ams and srcdir != builddir

On 21 Jun 2001 16:44:01 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Peter Williams <peter newton cx> writes:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> > 	It seems that the stamps in the template Makefile.am's don't work when
> > $(srcidr) != $(builddir). Here's the relevant output from "make -d" (I
> > guess):

> How does it actually fail?
>                                         Owen

The docs get built every time make is run, even if nothing changes.

I'm not too clear on the topic, but I think when a VPATH build is
involved, make's behavior changes in a way that makes that dependency
that you mentioned not work.

I agree that my change is not the right way to solve the problem, but it
does work -- rebuilding the gtk+ HTML files takes a loooong time over
here :-)

--
Peter Williams     peter newton cx / peterw ximian com

"Why should I have to change my name? He's the one who
sucks!"                              -- Michael Bolton