Re: Template Makefile.ams and srcdir != builddir

Peter Williams <peter newton cx> writes:

> On 21 Jun 2001 16:44:01 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > Peter Williams <peter newton cx> writes:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > > 	It seems that the stamps in the template Makefile.am's don't work when
> > > $(srcidr) != $(builddir). Here's the relevant output from "make -d" (I
> > > guess):

> > How does it actually fail?
> >                                         Owen
>
> The docs get built every time make is run, even if nothing changes.
>
> I'm not too clear on the topic, but I think when a VPATH build is
> involved, make's behavior changes in a way that makes that dependency
> that you mentioned not work.

Well, according to the symptoms you describe it's not _that_
rule that is running - that is harmless, but one of the
rules to actually build things.

Could you send me the complete 'make -d' ouput? (Or I could
just set up a srcdir != builddir build myself, but I'm being
a little lazy right now, and it worked for me anyways last
time I tried.)

Thanks,
                                        Owen