Re: GTK+ ref docs - extra introductory sections

Owen Taylor wrote:

> >   Signals -
> >       how they are emitted.
> >       what happens during an emission.
> >       how it relates to events from X Windows.
> >       stopping emissions.
>
> We already have a section on signals, right?

Yes, but I was thinking it would be nice to have these few sections
describing the GTK+ architecture before getting into the details
of each function call. I'm not sure, though. We can see what looks
best.

> >   Widget redrawing -
> >       queuing redraws, queuing clears, APP_PAINTABLE flag,
> >         related signals - expose, draw, draw_default, draw_focus.
> >       how it relates to styles & themes.
>
> Hmmm, I had imagined this being in the section for GtkWidget.
> I suppose GtkWidget will get rather long though...

I think its too long already. I was thinking of splitting it into
a few pages, maybe functions & signals.

> We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that this is supposed
> to be reference documentation. So, while we definitely
> need to document how this all works in detail, I don't
> think either Tim or I is going to want to write extensively
> tutorial descriptions of this stuff. (Since we are
> already doing that for the non-RDP sections of the
> book we are working on).

Yes, I don't want to have really long descriptions of this stuff.
Just enough to explain how it works.

Damon