Re: Moving from mailing lists to Discourse

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 15:11, Charles Lindsey <chl clerew man ac uk> wrote:

On 06/02/2019 11:46, Emmanuele Bassi via gtk-devel-list wrote:
> [Cross-posted to various relevant mailing lists; please, reply to
> gtk-devel-list]
>
> As part of an attempt at making GTK more friendly to newcomers, I and other
> core developers were thinking of moving the mailing lists from the current
> mailman installation to Discourse:
>
>    https://discourse.org/
>
> Possibly still hosted on GNOME infrastructure, depending on the
> requirements for our sysadmins.

> Are there any objections? Did somebody already try out Discourse and has
> opinions about it that they want to share with the community?

Does that mean I have to log in to Discourse every day just to check whether
some new message has arrived? If so, then no thank you.

No, you could still get email notifications for messages, and you could still send email replies; that's supported on Discourse, as you could easily check on their website.

This is a low volume
list, often with two or more weeks between messages.

Yes, the *gtk-devel-list* mailing list is low volume, compared to gtk-app-devel-list and gtk-list. Did you ever wonder why it is? Mostly because mailing lists are kind of terrible. The idea behind switching to Discourse is to improve the communication channels available to GTK developers and users to something more useful than email.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.