Re: Functional programming with GLib

On Mon, 2017-05-01 at 19:09 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com>
wrote:
For command line parsing I'd actually favour a slightly bolder
approach of deprecating GOptionContext, and having something
slightly
more modern — in terms of being bindable in other languages, and
well-integrated with API like GApplication.

What is lacking in the current incarnation of commandline option
support in GApplication?

Since this was raised here and I've currently been working with
python's click library and trying to make some enhancements there, just
thought I'd throw some things out there.

Some things that I'm finding important for CLI apps:

A.) Automatic generation of man pages and similar documentation,
    especially generating separate man pages for each separate sub
    command.

    I'm not even sure, do we have this already ?

B.) Built-in support for bash completions, allowing optional overrides
    for the application to implement custom completion suggestions
    for selected options/arguments.

This is all probably possible without completely replacing the API with
a new one, though.

Cheers,
    -Tristan