Re: gsk-render review

On 11 July 2016 at 12:16, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

Personally, I think the new behaviour of throwing away the render tree
after each frame makes the code much more resilient, especially in the
perspective of a future "off the main thread" rendering scenario —
though I agree that caching of the render tree in the widget tree
would probably be a good thing to have.

Except that, now that I think a bit more about it: if we're going to
reorder the scene graph before rendering it at the GskRenderNode level
then we won't be able to maintain existing relations between nodes —
thus the whole idea of keeping nodes around is moot.

If we want to allow widgets to keep around GskRenderNode instances
across frames then we'll have to reorder the scene graph at the lower
layers, for instance when we transform GskRenderNode into RenderItems
inside GskGLRenderer.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--