Re: Whatever happened to the Secondary Selection?

Hi;

I read the textual description, mostly because after 20 years of using
X11 I've never even seen an implementation of the SECONDARY selection
protocol outside of Motif applications. GTK+ itself does not implement
anything with the 'SECONDARY' atom, unlike the 'PRIMARY' one —
unfortunately, if I may add.

The GTK+ team is pretty much following the behaviour set out by the
freedesktop.org clipboard specification:

  https://specifications.freedesktop.org/clipboards-spec/clipboards-latest.txt

which was written down in 2000-ish and has been the de facto standard
for the free software desktop since then.

Again: I think it's perfectly fine to let applications take care of
this, especially on X11. The whole PRIMARY/SECONDARY shenanigans are
pretty much the definition of unportable X11 behaviour anyway — i.e.
the Windows and macOS backends do not have any support for
PRIMARY/SECONDARY selections, even if they are part of the available
atoms in GDK, and Wayland had to get an additional protocol extension
to implement PRIMARY behaviour — again, unfortunately.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.