Re: Whatever happened to the Secondary Selection?

Hi;

thanks for your email.

Additionally, the latest stable version of GTK+ is 3.20, and we plan to release GTK+ 3.22 by next month.

We still (optionally) support the PRIMARY selection on the X11 backend, and some compatibility layer for it on Wayland, but we have no plans on adding support for the SECONDARY selection, as it's both barely specified and, like the PRIMARY, highly confusing for anybody who is not well-versed in 20+ years of use of textual interfaces on the X Windows System. Personally, I would have jettisoned the PRIMARY selection a long time ago as well, but apparently a very vocal minority is still holding tight to that particular Easter egg. Adding support for the even more esoteric SECONDARY selection on the X11 backend when we're trying to move the Linux world towards the more modern and less legacy-ridden Wayland display system would be problematic to say the least, and an ill fit for the majority of graphical user experiences in use these days.

It should be entirely possible to add support for the SECONDARY selection inside specific applications, like text editors; or in specific libraries, like VTE for terminal emulators. It would definitely make more sense than trying to apply it to all text entry widgets in GTK+.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.