Re: Deprecated widgets on Stack Overflow [was: a new combo box]

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Philip Chimento <philip chimento gmail com> wrote:
I would hazard a guess that most people don't load up the docs' index page, but instead land on pages directly by googling - and so don't see the "Deprecated Widgets" section. For example if I google "gtk list widget" a GtkList tutorial page is the fourth result. [1] Although admittedly, that doesn't explain why someone wouldn't click on one of the perfectly fine top three results.

What's bad is that for such a search the third result, and the only one from gtk.org, which I would consider a reputable source if I'm looking for information on GTK, is a really old tutorial for GTK 1.2 [1].
Searching for "gtk tutorial" also gives suboptimal results, where none of the hits in the first page refers to the currently maintained version (first result is coming from developer.gnome.org, but it's very outdated [2]).

I realize keeping those guides up to date is a lot of work, but I think we should at least purge information that is actively misleading, such as the GTK 1.2 guide, or clearly mark it as deprecated with links to newer alternatives, which do exist on developer.gnome.org.

[1] http://www.gtk.org/tutorial1.2/gtk_tut-31.html
[2] https://developer.gnome.org/gtk-tutorial/stable/

Cosimo